Which tool should I buy to learn XML/DITA?

Questions about XML that are not covered by the other forums should go here.
abrooke

Which tool should I buy to learn XML/DITA?

Post by abrooke »

I am seeking to learn DITA and XML editing in general.

Which product would you recommend: XML Editor, Developer or Author?

As a novice, I'm not clear on the differences between them.

Thanks!
Andrew
Costin

Re: Which tool should I buy to learn XML/DITA?

Post by Costin »

Hello,

As you specified you want to to learn DITA and XML editing in general, most probably oXygen XML Author would suffice. But, this depends, strictly on what you need to use oXygen XML for.
In order to help you in choosing the product you need, below is a brief description of each of our products features.

There are three different types of oXygen XML.
- oXygen XML Editor is our flagship product, containing both authoring and development support (Editor = Author + Developer).
- oXygen XML Developer is specially designed for developers (XML schema/ XSLT/ XQuery development)
- oXygen XML Author is based on visual editing and was specially created for the content authors (keeps only the relevant authoring features of the Editor). Comes with support for common document types like DITA, Docbook, TEI, etc.

Each of the oXygen XML license types (Editor/Author/Developer) comes in two commercial editions : Professional and Enterprise.

The functional differences between the Professional and Enterprise editions of <oXygen/> XML is that the Enterprise edition offers support for commercial databases (Mark Logic, IBM DB2, Oracle 10.2, X-Hive/DB, Microsoft SQL Server), Documentum and SharePoint CMS integration, and also the possibility to search in the Review panel.

A page that shows the differences between the different types and editions of oXygen can be found at:
http://www.oxygenxml.com/feature_matrix.html

In case you might need additional assistance or have any other questions, feel free to contact us on our support email, at: support AT oxygenxml DOT com

Best Regards,
Costin
Costin Sandoi
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support
abrooke

Re: Which tool should I buy to learn XML/DITA?

Post by abrooke »

Thank you Costin for the detailed reply!