Remote development in virtual machine

Oxygen general issues.
Frank Ralf

Remote development in virtual machine

Post by Frank Ralf »

Hi,

To overcome the problem with different build environments (see DocBook output broken in Linux environment) I'm thinking about using oXygen for XSLT development while running the actual builds inside a virtual Linux machine. Are there any best practices for doing so?
  • - Can I trigger a transformation (via a make file in this case) in the VM from oXygen?
    - Can I share the XSLT files via a shared folder and/or symlinks between oXygen and the VM?
Any pointers welcome :-)
Frank
Frank Ralf
parson AG
www.parson-europe.com
sorin_ristache

Re: Remote development in virtual machine

Post by sorin_ristache »

Frank Ralf wrote:- Can I trigger a transformation (via a make file in this case) in the VM from oXygen?
Yes, by having the XML source file from the Linux VM opened in Oxygen on the local machine, and saving it in Oxygen, which should be the same as a touch command on the Linux VM. That will change the timestamp of the file on the Linux VM, which will trigger the make process.

For example you can open the XML source file of the transformation in the Oxygen application directly from the Linux VM with the Open URL action (available on the File menu and the File toolbar), using a URL that points to that source file, something like: http://local-server/shared-folder/source.xml.
Frank Ralf wrote:- Can I share the XSLT files via a shared folder and/or symlinks between oXygen and the VM?
Yes, as a folder on a server machine shared with other users with a network protocol like Samba. So it is more like a facility of the operating system, not Oxygen.

An Oxygen project may include a folder from the local file system, added to the project with the action Add Folder available on the right-click menu of the Project view. If that folder on the local file system is actually a network shared folder (for example shared with the Linux VM via Samba) then you have a way of accessing in Oxygen a shared folder and sharing all the files in that folder with any other user that maps the same network folder as a folder on his local file system.
Regards,
Sorin

<oXygen/> XML Editor Support
Frank Ralf

Re: Remote development in virtual machine

Post by Frank Ralf »

Hi Sorin,

Many thanks for these detailed instructions.

Kind regards,
Frank
Frank Ralf
parson AG
www.parson-europe.com