Editor crash right after startup with EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLA

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
Stacktrace

Editor crash right after startup with EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLA

Post by Stacktrace »

Hi,

My Oxygen Developer 15.1 crashes just a few seconds after startup. Here are the stats from the error report. Please let me know how I can fix this, and if you need the full report to be sent to you.

Best,

Frank

=========================================================

Code: Select all

# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
# EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x000000006c277ffb, pid=7912, tid=10112
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (7.0_40-b43) (build 1.7.0_40-b43)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (24.0-b56 mixed mode windows-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C [aticfx64.dll+0x37ffb]
#
# Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows

(snip)

VM Arguments:
jvm_args: -Dexe4j.semaphoreName=Local\c:_program_files_oxygen_xml_developer_15_oxygendeveloper15.1.exe -Dexe4j.isInstall4j=true -Dexe4j.moduleName=C:\Program Files\Oxygen XML Developer 15\oxygenDeveloper15.1.exe -Dexe4j.processCommFile=C:\Users\fwang\AppData\Local\Temp\e4j_p7912.tmp -Dexe4j.tempDir= -Dexe4j.unextractedPosition=0 -Djava.library.path=C:\Users\fwang\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\RSA SecurID Token Common;C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Stream\bin\x86_64;C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Stream\bin\x86;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVClient\;C:\Program Files\Perforce;C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++;C:\Program Files (x86)\cmdline;C:\Program Files\VanDyke Software\Clients\;c:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_31\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin;C:\Program Files\jEdit;c:\users\fwang\appdata\local\temp\e4jeae3.tmp_dir1385504004\jre\bin;c:\program files\oxygen xml developer 15\jre\bin -Dexe4j.consoleCodepage=cp0 -Dcom.oxygenxml.app.descriptor=ro.sync.exml.DeveloperFrameDescriptor -Dcom.oxygenxml.tree.readonly=false -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=10 -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -Dsun.awt.keepWorkingSetOnMinimize=true -Dinstall4j.launcherId=19 -Dinstall4j.swt=false -Xmx1500m -XX:+UseParallelGC -Dcom.oxygenxml.language=English -XX:OnError=C:\Program Files\Oxygen XML Developer 15/rp.exe -XX:ErrorFile=C:\Users\fwang\AppData\Local\Temp\/oxy_jvm_crash.log
java_command: C:\Program Files\Oxygen XML Developer 15\oxygenDeveloper15.1.exe
Launcher Type: generic

(snip)

--------------- S Y S T E M ---------------

CPU:total 4 (2 cores per cpu, 2 threads per core) family 6 model 42 stepping 7, cmov, cx8, fxsr, mmx, sse, sse2, sse3, ssse3, sse4.1, sse4.2, popcnt, avx, aes, ht, tsc, tscinvbit

Memory: 4k page, physical 8302388k(3951100k free), swap 16602912k(11021332k free)

vm_info: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (24.0-b56) for windows-amd64 JRE (1.7.0_40-b43), built on Aug 26 2013 22:38:32 by "java_re" with unknown MS VC++:1600

time: Tue Nov 26 14:16:10 2013
elapsed time: 53 seconds
adrian

Re: Editor crash right after startup with EXCEPTION_ACCESS_V

Post by adrian »

Hello,

We have received your full crash report.
This is a Java virtual machine crash that is caused by an incompatibility between the Java runtime and the graphics card driver (aticfx64.dll hints to that).

If possible, please update your graphics card driver (ATI/AMD) to the latest version available for your system.

Let us know if the problem persists.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
<oXygen/> XML Editor, Schema Editor and XSLT Editor/Debugger
http://www.oxygenxml.com
Stacktrace

Post by Stacktrace »

Thanks for the help!

I did not try the suggestion you gave, but did something else to solve the issue: I renamed the "jre" folder that was shipped with Oxygen:

C:\Program Files\Oxygen XML Developer 15\jre\

And this caused Oxygen to use the JRE that I have installed on my OS. The editor is no longer crashing. If this problem surfaces again, I will try your tip.

Thanks,

-Frank
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hi,

If you have a Java SE 6 runtime installed on your system, that can also work around the problem. If you rename, move or delete the jre folder from the Oxygen installation folder, it will pick up and use the system installed Java.

You can check what Java runtime Oxygen is using in Help > About, "System properties". Look for the properties:
java.runtime.name
java.runtime.version

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza
adrian

Post by adrian »

Hi,

In case anyone else encounters this kind of crash in one of the following Windows libraries aticfx64.dll, aticfx32.dll, atio6axx.dll, atioglxx.dll, ig4icd64.dll or ig4icd32.dll (ATI/AMD or Intel HD graphics card drivers) with a stack trace similar to:

Java frames: (J=compiled Java code, j=interpreted, Vv=VM code)
j sun.awt.Win32GraphicsDevice.getMaxConfigsImpl(I)I+0
j sun.awt.Win32GraphicsDevice.getMaxConfigs(I)I+10
j sun.awt.Win32GraphicsDevice.getConfigurations()[Ljava/awt/GraphicsConfiguration;+69
This crash seems to be caused by the Java runtime when querying the graphics card driver for supported pixel formats.

Updating the graphics driver sometime resolves the problem. However, this crash can be completely avoided by passing a system property to the Java runtime that disables the query for supported pixel formats: sun.awt.nopixfmt=true

To avoid this in Oxygen, you need to add an argument in the Oxygen .vmoptions files found in the Oxygen installation folder:
- 'oxygen15.2.vmoptions' for Oxygen XML Editor
- 'oxygenAuthor15.2.vmoptions' for Oxygen XML Author
- 'oxygenDeveloper15.2.vmoptions' for Oxygen XML Developer
'15.2' is the version of Oxygen, so it can vary depending on what version you have installed.

Add a new line with this argument at the end of the files:

-Dsun.awt.nopixfmt=true
If you are running Oxygen on Windows Vista/7/8, you will first have to copy the '.vmoptions' files to your Desktop (or another folder with write access), modify them there and then copy them back to the Oxygen installation folder replacing the original files.

Regards,
Adrian
Adrian Buza