DOCX (MS Word) to TEI P5 Ordered Lists Issue

Post here questions and problems related to oXygen frameworks/document types.
ari

DOCX (MS Word) to TEI P5 Ordered Lists Issue

Post by ari »

After applying the 'DOCX TEI P5' transformation scenario to a DOCX document that contains a list using MS Words default '1. List Number' style the end result is an unordered list.

e.g before transformation:
1. one
2. two
3. three

after transformation:
<list type="unordered">
<item>one</item>
<item>two</item>
<item>three </item>
</list>

is there a specific style that has to be used so that the ordered list type is preserved after the transformation?
sorin_ristache

Re: DOCX (MS Word) to TEI P5 Ordered Lists Issue

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hi,

I applied the built-in transformation called DOCX TEI P5 on a Word document in both Oxygen 13.2 (which includes TEI P5 1.9.1) and Oxygen 14.0 (which includes TEI P5 2.1.0), but I could not reproduce the problem. An ordered list with the default style in Word as the following:
  1. item 1
  2. item 2
  3. item 3
was transformed to a TEI P5 ordered list (<list type="ordered">), and an unordered list with the default style in Word as the following:
  • item 1
  • item 2
  • item 3
was transformed to a TEI P5 unordered list (<list type="unordered">).

What Oxygen version do you use? Did you run the built-in transformation DOCX TEI P5 on the Word document or a custom transformation? If you get the problem with this built-in transformation please send us a sample Word (DOCX) file for reproducing the problem.

Thank you,
Sorin
ari

Post by ari »

sorin wrote: I applied the built-in transformation called DOCX TEI P5 on a Word document in both Oxygen 13.2 (which includes TEI P5 1.9.1) and Oxygen 14.0 (which includes TEI P5 2.1.0), but I could not reproduce the problem. An ordered list with the default style in Word as the following:
  1. item 1
  2. item 2
  3. item 3
was transformed to a TEI P5 ordered list (<list type="ordered">), and an unordered list with the default style in Word as the following:
  • item 1
  • item 2
  • item 3
was transformed to a TEI P5 unordered list (<list type="unordered">).
This is correct, however; I was not using the list button in the main menu I was using the a list styles from the Style Pane. I made some tests and found out the following:

• Using the list buttons

Case 1: Simple Unordered List: works fine
Case 2: Simple Ordered List: works fine
Case 3: Nested Unordered List: nesting is lost
Case 4: Nested Ordered List: nesting is lost

This indeed works correctly but if you use this method to create a nested list, the nesting is lost

• Creating Lists Using Styles (Tested on both Word for Mac 2011 and MS Word 2010
* Note: these are all default Word List Styles
Case 1: Simple Unordered List: works fine
Case 2: Simple Ordered List: is converted to an unordered list
Case 3: Nested Unordered List: works fine and nesting is preserved
Case 4: Nested Ordered List:nesting is preserved BUT is converted to an unordered list

Nested Ordered List Example:

code after using oXygen 14's built in transformation:

Code: Select all

<list type="unordered">
<item>One<list type="unordered">
<item>Two</item>
<item>Three</item>
</list>
</item>
<item>Four</item>
</list>
What Oxygen version do you use? Did you run the built-in transformation DOCX TEI P5 on the Word document or a custom transformation? If you get the problem with this built-in transformation please send us a sample Word (DOCX) file for reproducing the problem.
oXygen 14 and and I used the DOCX TEI P5 built-in transformation
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hi,

Thank you for the details and the images. I submitted a bug report to the TEI Consortium developers who maintain this (and other) TEI related transformations. You can track the bug here. I think the only workaround for you is to create the lists only with the list button in the main menu and avoid list nesting until the bugs are fixed.

Regards,
Sorin
rahtz

Post by rahtz »

I have changed the underlying XSL to cope with the list types. The file I used for testing is
at visible http://tei.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/t ... iew=markup

the fixes will appear in oXygen at the next release, or you can check the functionality
using OxGarage (http://oxgarage.oucs.ox.ac.uk:8080/ege-webclient/) which uses the same
code as oXygen.

thanks for the poke - this has not been done right for a long time!