"No Print Service Found"

Having trouble installing Oxygen? Got a bug to report? Post it all here.
CapnKirk

"No Print Service Found"

Post by CapnKirk »

I'm running <oXygen/> 5.1 on a Debian 'sid' box under KDE with Sun's JDK 1.5.0.

When I try to print, I get "No print service found."

How do I configure printing to recognize either my KDE print services or else choose a network printer directly using rlpr?

TIA!

Kirk
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

<oXygen/> is a 100% pure Java application. That means it doesn't use native code specific to a platform so the problem is between the Java virtual machine and the operating system.

If the printing system is CUPS and is working on that machine for non-Java applications then a workaround which works for the Debian distribution is to use Sun's Java version 1.4.2 instead of 1.5. On any Linux distribution to change the Java virtual machine used by <oXygen/> you must change the value of the key lax.nl.current.vm in the file Oxygen.lax located in the install directory so that it points to the appropriate executable. Before that make sure the package cupsys-bsd is installed on your machine and that the directory /usr/sbin is added to the PATH variable. This is necessary because the Java virtual machine executes a call "lpc status" to get a list of the valid printers installed and the command lpc is located in /usr/sbin. You can check this yourself by running "lpc status" at the console prompt.

If that doesn't work you should uninstall CUPS and install the package called lpr instead. It contains the traditional Linux printing system.

Best regards,
Sorin
CapnKirk

Post by CapnKirk »

Thanks for your informative response.

I have <oXygen/> installed in /usr/local/lib/oxygen. There is no Oxygen.lax file there. I then did a complete search of my system. No file. I then went into the oxygen.tar.gz file: nope.

Maybe there was a glitch at install time, perhaps?

My system is dual boot with Debian and WinXP. I have <oXygen/> installed there as well. I just checked. No file there, either.

Suggestions?

Kirk
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hi,

Probably you are using the All platforms distribution of <oXygen/> (oxygen.tar.gz) not the Linux one (oxygen.bin). In this case you have to edit the file oxygen.sh used to start up <oXygen/> on Linux and replace the call to the default Java virtual machine in your path with a call to a Java 1.4.2 one - something like usr/local/j2sdk1.4.2/bin/java.

Best regards,
Sorin