XML/XSD Default Element Values

Questions about XML that are not covered by the other forums should go here.
sauronlord

XML/XSD Default Element Values

Post by sauronlord »

Hi,
I'm new to XML, XSD and XSLT.
I was wondering if there is a way to "fill out" an XML document with its default values, as if "expanded" so that my XSLT processor could use these defaults in generating the output.

I think if I had a schema-aware XSLT processor (SAXON-SA), then I could get this done easily as the transformation would be done against an XML document validated against an XSD.

That is not an option for my company for various reasons.

Is there a 2-stage process I can execute (in Java SAX/DOM?) that will "fill out" the required default values for elements or attributes?

I see there are validator classes, but none of these allow me to "write back" the resultant XML(with defaults populated) so that I may use the "expanded" form in subsequent processing.

Thanks,
-a
sorin_ristache

Post by sorin_ristache »

Hello,

The XML instance generator tool embedded in oXygen is able to generate an XML file from an XML Schema based on a set of user options. The tool is available from menu Tools -> Generate Sample XML Files and you can find details about it in the User Manual. It can also be executed from command line using the script xmlGenerator.bat (Windows) / xmlGenerator.sh (Unix) located in the oXygen install folder.

Regards,
Sorin