[oXygen-user] Feature request: "Replace" vs. "Replace and Find Next"

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Wed May 28 12:23:02 CDT 2014

I wonder if other oXygen users would find this enhancement useful:

In the Find/Replace dialogue, instead of two buttons:

[Find]
[Replace]

have three buttons, perhaps called

[Find]
[Replace]
[Replace and Find Next]

"Replace and Find Next" would have the identical behavior that the existing
Replace button has. But the "Replace" button would do the replacement and stay
on the current line.

The rationale: very often, when constructing a complex regular expression
replacement, I want to be sure that the replacement does what I want. If I just
hit "Replace", the cursor moves to the next occurrence (if there is one). So it
is necessary to do one of these two things:

1) do the replacement, then do Undo to get back to the replacement line, then
Redo to see the replacement; or

2) toggle "Only selected lines" before doing the replacement, then change it
back to "All" to continue replacing

Having the additional button would remove the need for one of those steps.

I realize that this would be a rather big UI change and might possibly confuse
people, but I thought I would see whether anyone else agrees,

David

PO Box 400314, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4314 USA