[oXygen-user] Feature request: "Replace" vs. "Replace and Find Next"

G. Ken Holman gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com
Wed May 28 13:00:43 CDT 2014

Rather than changing the existing oft-repeated operation (which I
would loathe to see happen) could you have:

   [Find]
   [Replace]
   [Replace Once]

I don't think I've been burned by this myself, but I can see that it
would be useful.

. . . . . . . Ken

At 2014-05-28 13:23 -0400, David Sewell wrote:
>I wonder if other oXygen users would find this enhancement useful:
>
>In the Find/Replace dialogue, instead of two buttons:
>
>[Find]
>[Replace]
>
>have three buttons, perhaps called
>
>[Find]
>[Replace]
>[Replace and Find Next]
>
>"Replace and Find Next" would have the identical behavior that the existing
>Replace button has. But the "Replace" button would do the
>replacement and stay
>on the current line.
>
>The rationale: very often, when constructing a complex regular expression
>replacement, I want to be sure that the replacement does what I
>want. If I just
>hit "Replace", the cursor moves to the next occurrence (if there is
>one). So it
>is necessary to do one of these two things:
>
>1) do the replacement, then do Undo to get back to the replacement line, then
>Redo to see the replacement; or
>
>2) toggle "Only selected lines" before doing the replacement, then change it
>back to "All" to continue replacing
>
>Having the additional button would remove the need for one of those steps.
>
>I realize that this would be a rather big UI change and might
>possibly confuse
>people, but I thought I would see whether anyone else agrees,
>
>David

Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm |
Crane Softwrights Ltd.            http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/m/ |
G. Ken Holman                   mailto:gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com |
Google+ profile:      http://plus.google.com/+GKenHolman-Crane/about |
Legal business disclaimers:    http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/legal |

---