[oXygen-user] how to install on Ubuntu

Barton Wright
Sun Apr 18 18:32:57 CDT 2010

Syd,

Running the same command on 64-bit Ubuntu 9.10, I get:

	Unpacking JRE ...
	Preparing JRE ...
	Starting Installer ...

Perhaps there was corruption in your download? Did you compare the
checksum? Run:
	md5sum oxygen.sh
and compare the result with the number linked from the MD5 red square
icon on the Oxygen download page.

Also check your sudo privileges. Run man sudo and look at /etc/sudoers.

Good luck!

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:] On Behalf Of Syd Bauman
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2010 6:42 PM
Subject: [oXygen-user] how to install on Ubuntu

This may be a FAQ, in which case I apologize, please point me in the
right direction.

Situation: While I like to think of myself as technically reasonably
savvy, I know absolutely nothing about Java, JREs, JDEs, JVMs, or
other TLAs that start with J. (I've never even watched _JAG_ :-)

I'm trying to install oXygen onto an Ubuntu 9.10 system. I downloaded
the "Linux 64 bit (Includes Java VM 1.6.0_16)" .sh file from
http://www.oxygenxml.com/download_oxygenxml_editor.html. The
instructions say "Make sure you have in your PATH environment
variable the correct location of the JRE." How do I know the location
of the JRE?

I tried executing the oxygen.sh command, but got
| :~/Downloads$ sudo sh oxygen.sh
| [sudo] password for syd:
| Unpacking JRE ...
| Preparing JRE ...
| bin/unpack200: 1:ELF: not found
| bin/unpack200: 4: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
| Error unpacking jar files. Aborting.
| You might need administrative priviledges for this operation.
| :~/Downloads$

[Note that there is an unprintable character that didn't survive the
cut & paste -- perhaps a U+007F? -- in front of "ELF".] Is this
because I don't have the right JRE in my $PATH
(/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
)?