[oXygen-user] how to install on Ubuntu

Syd Bauman
Sun Apr 18 17:42:13 CDT 2010

This may be a FAQ, in which case I apologize, please point me in the
right direction.

Situation: While I like to think of myself as technically reasonably
savvy, I know absolutely nothing about Java, JREs, JDEs, JVMs, or
other TLAs that start with J. (I've never even watched _JAG_ :-)

I'm trying to install oXygen onto an Ubuntu 9.10 system. I downloaded
the "Linux 64 bit (Includes Java VM 1.6.0_16)" .sh file from
http://www.oxygenxml.com/download_oxygenxml_editor.html. The
instructions say "Make sure you have in your PATH environment
variable the correct location of the JRE." How do I know the location
of the JRE?

I tried executing the oxygen.sh command, but got
| :~/Downloads$ sudo sh oxygen.sh
| [sudo] password for syd:
| Unpacking JRE ...
| Preparing JRE ...
| bin/unpack200: 1:ELF: not found
| bin/unpack200: 4: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")
| Error unpacking jar files. Aborting.
| You might need administrative priviledges for this operation.
| :~/Downloads$

[Note that there is an unprintable character that didn't survive the
cut & paste -- perhaps a U+007F? -- in front of "ELF".] Is this
because I don't have the right JRE in my $PATH
(/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games)?