[oXygen-user] Can't edit 11 meg file

George Cristian Bina
Fri Nov 23 12:44:37 CST 2007

Dear Timothy,

oXygen is a Java application. Java has an automatic memory management
performed by the Java garbage collection. That means the memory is
allocated and it is not released explicitly by the application and only
when the allocated memory is close to the maximum memory the garbage
collection starts and detects the unused memory to be released. That
means that an application has the maximum memory that it will use
already defined when it starts. So no matter if you have 1G, 4GB or 10GB
  a Java application will take the same fixed amount of maximum memory
that was specified at its startup, if no maximum memory is specified
then the default value of the JVM will use used (that is in general 64MB).

Now, there are multiple structures that oXygen keeps to help you
editing. 11MB of raw XML can easily mean 10 times more memory when you
need to keep more than the characters in memory. Add the memory for
other open files, their schemas that are loaded for content completion,
etc. and the maximum memory oXygen has at its disposal can be easily
reached. From our experience you should not have any issues with files
in the 10MB range with the default memory settings from oXygen. However,
it may be possible to have some particularities in that file to cause a
larger memory consumption and that is why we are interested to see that
file, if possible of course. It may be better to send us a link to the
file or eventually zip it and send it to our support email

George Cristian Bina - http://aboutxml.blogspot.com/