[oXygen-user] Can't edit 11 meg file

Radu Coravu
Fri Nov 23 04:33:36 CST 2007

Dear Timothy,

In order to edit it Oxygen keeps the whole file in memory.
The amount of memory needed to open a file is several times larger than
the file size when opening it in Text mode and is lower when opening it
in Grid or Author mode.
Also the Tree Editor available in Oxygen has a much smaller memory
footprint.
It also depends on the file structure and whether it has many long lines.

You can find out how much memory is available for Oxygen by opening the
About dialog and reading the "JVM memory used - Total" field.
The standard total memory setting in Oxygen should be more than enough
to open an 11 MB file.
If you give us access to the file maybe we could take a look at it and
see if we can improve anything in the Oxygen memory usage.
If the archived version of the file is above 1 MB maybe you could post a
link with it.