[oXygen-user] shortcuts for special characters

James Cummings
Tue May 15 21:25:48 CDT 2007

Dot Porter wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I've been using oXygen for a couple of years but mainly for text
> encoding, I don't really take advantage of the more advanced
> functionality. I apologize for this newbie question and I hope the
> answer is simple.
>
> I would really like to create shortcuts for some characters from the
> character map. There are three that I use often and it's a pain to
> have to cut and paste or use the character map every time I want to
> stick one in. I figured out how to set the menu shortcut keys and I
> was able to create a shortcut to bring up the c.m. but what I really
> want are shortcuts to insert the letters themselves. Any suggestions?

Hi Dot,

What I use is 'Code Templates'.  For example you create a template called
'thorn' which has the content of:

þ${caret}

(or the unicode character reference if you want), and then start typing th and
then hit control-space.

Do similar with THORN (for capital), yogh/YOGH, etc. I suppose I could actually
export these code templates and give them to you, but it is just really as easy
for you to create them yourself if think.[1]

-James
[1] My favourite characters, and probably some of yours, are listed
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~jamesc/characters.html