[oXygen-user] Outline view again

David Cramer david at thingbag.net
Fri Jan 20 09:39:54 CST 2012

Hi George,
So, I understand that it has to show unmatched ancestors if I deselect
"Flat presentation mode of the filtered results". For example, if I
filter on section you would show:

book
 chapter
   section

I can even live with situations where you have to show something like:

 book
   xinclude
    chapter
      section
   chapter
    section

It's inconvenient that the xinclude element adds a level of hierarchy
to the tree, but I could live with it.

What does not make sense to me, however, is showing unmatched nodes
that aren't ancestors of matched nodes. To my mind that's not filter,
but search/highlight all (btw., for me it highlights even unmatched
nodes if they are descendants of matched nodes).

It could be that in fact we need a new view that is based on
css+extensions as Wendell suggested, though it seems like adding a
switch to hide unmatched leaves in filtered results in the outline
view would be a smaller, easier to implement feature.

Please do continue to explore the issue and consider the perspective
of writers working on a long document or topic where they want to see
a nav-pane like table of contents/tree-view of the headings without
being distracted by other content. I have to say it's a limitation
I've noticed and more than one writer has mentioned it to me.

Thanks,
David