[oXygen-user] XInclude and ID/IDREF validation

Wendell Piez
Fri Jul 23 11:13:52 CDT 2010

Dear George,

At 04:24 AM 7/23/2010, George Cristian Bina wrote:
>When you use XInclude and DTDs the validation is performed on each
>file as it is (with the XInclude elements not expanded). This is how
>Xerces works - I opened some time ago a discussion about support for
>post validation, you can find that here:
>http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/xerces-j-dev/200507.mbox/thread
>see the
>"Xinclude with XML Schema versus XInclude with DTD" messages

I'm glad to see the question has come up (as I suspected it would have :-).

>If you use XML Schema or Relax NG or Schematron then the validation
>will be performed on a document with all the XInclude elements
>replaced with the included content.

Okay.

>A possible solution if you need to stay with DTDs is to move the
>ID/IDREF constraints from DTDs to a Schematron schema. That needs to
>be applied only on the main document and as I said above the
>resolved document will be seen by the Schematron validation.

Right: I've considered this, but of course we also want the pull-down
menus we get from ID/IDREF.

>Another solution is to use LIBXML for validation - by default we set
>the --postvalid option on LIBXML that makes the processor perform
>the DTD validation after the XInclude processing, thus validating
>the resolved document against the DTD of the main file.

Very interesting: we will try this.

Hey! It seems to work! Thanks.

Thanks!
Wendell

Wendell Piez                            mailto: