[oXygen-user] selection plugin results to result pane?

George Cristian Bina
Tue Oct 27 14:50:57 CDT 2009

Hi Christian,

Sorry for the delay but I hesitated to get into this. Probably I am more
comfortable working on a more concrete task.

You are right, an external tool will not see the selection.

A selection plugin can display any GUI he wants. What would be the
advantage of having those in the results pane versus a plugin provided
window or dialog? If the plugin is implemented to allow the user to
modify the information it presents I see no problem to allow the user to
change some of the entries from the database - beu this needs to be
implemented by that plugin.

You may look for example at the Conversion plugin (contextual
menu->Plugins->Conversion). That displays a dialog and allows the user
to select different units of measure. Imagine that presents entries from
an eXist database and it allows to also make changes in the database.

A content completion filter is an interesting extension and it can
provide also annotations to the offered values. The annotations are
presented next to the content completion window when a value is
selected. This filter class receives the context the content completion
is invoked in and the list of proposals oXygen is about to display. It
should return the same or an updated list of proposals (adding,
modifying or deleting entries). Each proposal is represented by a
content completion item that contains mainly what will be inserted in
the document, what will be rendered in the content completion window and
the annotations that will be rendered next to a selected proposal.
You can use this extension to provide ID values as what will be
inserted, then you can either provide also the values as what will be
rendered in the completion list or some short descriptions if you have
such info, then as annotations provide the complete descriptions of the
entries.