[oXygen-user] selection plugin results to result pane?

Christian Wittern
Mon Oct 12 14:15:25 CDT 2009

Hi George,

Thank you for your answer.

George Cristian Bina wrote:
> Hi Cristian,
>
> There is no support for triggering something in the result pane from a
> selection plugin. However, it is possible to have an external tool
> output in a specified format that will result in an entry in the
> result pane.
But I guess in this case, I could not trigger this tool in a way that
the tool has access to the selection?

> We are considering also extending the plugin support in oXygen to
> allow more complex interactions between plugins and oXygen. It will be
> great if you can provide more details about the use case, what you
> actually want to solve, that will help us make sure that the
> extensions will cover also this.
I think the classic use case is for a dictionary lookup.  If somebody is
translating something, or simply needs to look something up in a
dictionary for the tagging,  I would like to look this up in, for
example an eXist database, with the result popping into the result
pane.  Of course, more complex interactions could be desirable, for
example, what if I see a problem in the dictionary entry that is
displayed there and would like to edit it?

> It may be possible also to solve easily your use case with other
> functionality currently provided by oXygen. For example if what you
> want the lookup for is to providing content completion proposals then
> that can be implemented as a content completion filter that receives
> the proposals oXygen want to present, the context and returns back an
> updated list of proposals.
I had thought about that, because another use case that prompted my
question was the lookup of xml:id targets for a reference.  In this
case, the problem was that if I include the dictionary or reference list
into the file and make it so available to oXygen, a simple list of
targets is not useful without annotation, thus the idea to have the
results show in the result pane.  In this case, the follow up action
would likely be to insert it into an attribute value, so maybe a
completion would be more useful?  But then one would need to think about
how to provide the annotation and filtering there.

All the best,

Christian

--
 Christian Wittern