[oXygen-user] Schematron validation "errors" enhancement

Syd Bauman
Thu Nov 26 06:33:08 CST 2009

I agree completely w/ Wendell's overall idea: oXygen should give me,
the Schematron author, some control over whether or not <report> and
<assert> are treated the same or not.

I wouldn't even mind if that control were shifted to the person
running oXygen: i.e., a preference check box "treat Schematron
<report>s as warnings (instead of errors)".

As far as John's two recommended methods, I can't comment
authoritatively, as I've never really used phases or flags. But my
reading of DSDL is that a flag= would not be correct.

    A boolean variable with initial value false. A flag is implicitly
    declared by an assertion or rule having a flag attribute with
    that name. The value of a flag becomes true when an assertion
    with that flag fails or a rule with that flag fires.

    The purpose of flags is to convey state or severity information
    to a subsequent process.

    An implementation is not required to make use of this attribute.

                                      -- ISO/IEC FDIS 19757-3 5.5.5

So I'm inclined to think role= is more appropriate for this purpose.
(And a post of R. Jelliffe I just found seems to back this up.)
Although I'm not at all sure it's the right thing.