[oXygen-user] xml:id + docbook5 validation problems

Robert Nagle
Sun Jun 28 04:38:49 CDT 2009

I've noticed some inconsistencies in the way Oxygen validates a
chapter element in an xinclude file  when you add xml:id=

I have

. I'm trying to add xml:id to chapters so I can change the output html
with the use.id.as.filename parameter.

I'm using xincludes with each separate xinclude file containing a chapter.

I'm getting a weird  error message when validating in Oxygen.

SystemID: I:\My Documents\xml\rj3\er1.xml
Engine name: oNVDL
Severity: error
"http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"
Start location: 2:80

*******************************
here is what I have in the er1.xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<chapter  xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook"   version="5.0" xml:id="99er1">
    <title xml:id="firstdd">Notion #1</title>
<para xml:id="blah">ddddd</para>
The Eiffel Tower is one of the
        most widely recognized buildings in the world.
    </para>
</chapter>

Ok, now for the freaky part. If I remove xml:id attribute, rename the
chapter element to sect1 and insert xml:id again, it validates just
fine.

I've tried it several times and can duplicate it each time on my
machine.  I've tried the Reset Cache and Validate option each time.

Any idea if this is an Oxygen/validator bug or if there is something
peculiar to xinclude syntax which I am overlooking? Any reason why
this corrects the problem?

By the way, sometimes it can be difficult to tell whether a problem is
an application-specific problem or a docbook/xsl problem.

Thanks.

Robert

--
Robert Nagle