[oXygen-user] xsl:result-document with no href causes "Cannot write to a URI that has already been read" err-XTRE1500

Florent Georges
Tue Oct 28 07:52:26 CDT 2008

Andrew Welch wrote:

> >  But I think more like Andrew: maybe making @href optional
> > doesn't make sense?  I guess that's a question for XSL List.

> No it makes sense that it's optional to me - it doesn't make sense if
> omitting it returns the URI of the stylesheet.

  Well, returning the URI of the stylesheet sounds weird to me.  If the
@href effective value is a relative URI, it is resolved against the
base output URI.  While it is implementation-defined, I would be
surprised by an implementation setting the base output URI to the
stylesheet URI.

> Another way of looking at it is:

> <xsl:template match="/">
> </xsl:template>

> and

> <xsl:template match="/">
>   <xsl:result-document>
>   </xsl:result-document>
> </xsl:template>

> are equivalent where the xsl:result-document instruction is
> implied in the first instance, and explicit in the second.
> Both create document nodes in the result tree.

  More exactly both create a final result tree (and the former will
create a final result tree only if it is the initial template.)

  So really, I don't see the usefulness of having @href optional (but I
think I don't have enough imagination here.)

Florent Georges
http://www.fgeorges.org/