[oXygen-user] Can Tag Indent Be Configured On a Per-DTD/Per-Namespace Basis?

Eliot Kimber
Thu Nov 6 09:44:11 CST 2008

On 11/6/08 9:22 AM, "Sorin Ristache" <> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Do you mean formatting by the action Format and Indent? For the XML
> files that should never be formatted you can just add the attribute
> xml:space="preserve" to the root element or add the qualified name of
> the root element to the Preserve Space Elements list in Preferences ->
> Editor -> Format -> XML.

I'll try adding to the list of preserve space elements.

> We will think about a possible implementation of format and indent
> options at the document type level (which matches the edited documents
> by rules based on the file type, namespace, root local name, etc) but it
> sounds like a configuration nightmare. Maybe the paragraph breaks should
> be marked up explicitly if they are sensitive to whitespace
> normalization and if you have the option of customizing the InCopy INCX
> schema in your process.

Unfortunately, INCX is fixed and immutable in this regard. With CS4 Adobe
has completely redesigned the XML representation of InDesign and InCopy
documents but for CS3, which we will have to work with for the foreseable
future, the markup is not what you would call "well designed".

Cheers,

E.

----
Eliot Kimber | Senior Solutions Architect | Really Strategies, Inc.
email:   <mailto:>
office: 610.631.6770 | cell: 512.554.9368
2570 Boulevard of the Generals | Suite 213 | Audubon, PA 19403
www.reallysi.com <http://www.reallysi.com>  | http://blog.reallysi.com
<http://blog.reallysi.com> | www.rsuitecms.com <http://www.rsuitecms.com>