[oXygen-user] Feature Request: Set Title from Navtitle When Creating New Doc from Map Manager

Eliot Kimber
Thu Jun 5 04:45:28 CDT 2008

I've developed a pretty efficient practice whereby I use the map manager to
create topicrefs to topics that don't yet exist and then take advantage of
the "Create new document?" feature to create the document from a template.

Since there is no ambiguity about where the title of the topic goes, I think
it would be reasonable in this case for Oxygen to set the title of the
newly-created topic to the navtitle value in all cases (even where the
template document has a non-empty title). I can't think of a reason why in
DITA you would have topics with invariant titles that you would create more
than one of. For clarity, it might be best to provide some sort of "put
navtitle here" thingy to put in the template but in this specific case I
think it would be acceptable to just blindly create the title.

The only time this would fail would be in specializations where the title
itself has required subelements (a pattern I use for specialized reference
topic types) but I think that would be handled if the rule was "put the
title text in the first leaf descendant or self of the topic title", putting
the onus on the template to provide any required subelements of topic.

Cheers,

Eliot
--
Eliot Kimber