[oXygen-user] an extra blank page in the .pdf output + a new question

Sorin Ristache
Thu Aug 11 08:20:56 CDT 2005

Chip Wiegand wrote:
>  wrote on 08/10/2005 01:24:32 AM:
>

>>Hello Chip,
>>
>>If you are using the Docbook XSL stylesheets and the FOP processor to
>>generate the pdf file the empty page seems to be a bug in FOP. In the
>>XSL-FO file generated by the stylesheets the pages that follow the title
>

>>and copyright pages start a new page sequence. The FOP processor should
>>not generate an empty page for a break-after property before a new
>>page sequence. To avoid that use in your transformation scenario a
>>Docbook XSL customization layer that replaces the template
>>book.titlepage.separator with an empty template:
>>

>><xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"
>>version="1.0">
>>     <xsl:import href="../frameworks/docbook/xsl/fo/docbook.xsl"/>
>>     <xsl:template name="book.titlepage.separator"/>
>></xsl:stylesheet>
>

> Thanks for the help, I have my own .xsl stylesheet already so I added your
> suggested code to it and it works fine. It would only work with the code -
> <xsl:template name="book.titlepage.separator"/> - and not the other stuff,
> I already have the other lines in my .xsl. But what I don't understand is
> why that one line does anything at all? I don't see anything there to tell
> the processor to do anything. I must not be understanding it correctly.

Hello Chip,

That line added to your stylesheet shortcircuits the default template
"book.titlepage.separator" from the imported docbook.xsl template
because the problem is in that template and we don't want it executed.
It is a general XSLT technique. You can read more about importing
stylesheets and import precedence in the XSLT specification:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#import

> So, here's another one I hope can be fixed by just adding a bit of code to
> the .xsl -
> How do I define a smaller size font for chapter titles? I found some info
> in the Docbook manual, chapter 5, on customizing Docbook, but that looks
> way too complicated for what I want to do.

I think you mean Norman Walsh's DocBook: The Definitive Guide. You don't
need that. You need Bob Stayton's DocBook XSL: The Complete Guide. Look at:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/TitleFontSizes.html#ChapterTitles

Use the first method - customizing the titlepage specification file. You
have to customize the chapter title specification in
titlepage.templates.xml: in the *titlepage* element with the
*element="chapter"* attribute change the value of the *font-size*
attribute inside the *titlepage-content* element. First read the
introduction from:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/TitleFontSizes.html

> Regards,
> Chip