[oXygen-sdk] Disabling menuitems when the editor view is not editable

Oxygen XML Editor Support support at oxygenxml.com
Fri Mar 15 08:16:18 CDT 2013

Hi Jan,

The current editable API disables the modifications in the editor at a
very low level. The actions are still enabled but they actually cannot
affect the edited content.

We cannot automatically disable actions which come from Author
extensions (like the DITA bold, italic, insert conref, etc) because we
do not exactly know what those actions might be doing (as they might be
implemented by other developers). For example an extension action
(implementation of AuthorOperation) might be sending a query to a server
and might not be used for modifying the current document, and thus would
still need to be enabled.

We have some API like:

ro.sync.exml.workspace.api.editor.page.author.WSAuthorEditorPageBase.getActionsProvider()

which would allow you to gain access to all general (cut/copy/paste,
undo...) actions and also to all extension actions (defined for a
particular XML vocabulary in a document type association/framework).

Those are regular Swing actions so you could try to disable them.
The problem is that those actions might get enabled by our code when the
caret is moved for example, but you could try to add property changed
listeners to every action and when an action is enabled from another
part of the code you could disable it back.

Regards,
Radu

Radu Coravu