[oXygen-user] Error: "XML Parsing failed" and no further information attached

Imsieke, Gerrit, le-tex gerrit.imsieke at le-tex.de
Mon May 7 09:30:20 CDT 2018

A minimal example that still produces the error in my oXygen 20 is this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE chapter[
   <!ENTITY foo "bar">
]>
<?xml-model href="http://docbook.org/xml/5.1/sch/docbook.sch"
type="application/xml" schematypens="http://purl.oclc.org/dsdl/schematron"?>
<chapter xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook"
     xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" version="5.1">
      <title/>
      <para/>
</chapter>

Commenting out either the doctype declaration or the Schematron PI will
avoid the error.

It seems as if the Schematron processor chokes on the absence of a
system identifier. Changing the doctype declaration into

<!DOCTYPE chapter SYSTEM "https://docbook.org/xml/5.0/dtd/docbook.dtd" [
   <!ENTITY foo "bar">
]>

solved the issue. But this is not ideal for several interrelated reasons:

– The associated DTD is for DocBook 5.0;
– It will be fetched from the server every time when opening and
validating the document;
– Beginning with 5.1, there is no DocBook DTD any more. Otherwise one
could download it and access it locally via XML catalog;
– Validation should be performed against the Relax NG schema (I omitted
the corresponding PI in the example above).

I have the feeling that the Schematron implementation uses another, more
picky, XML parser than the rest of oXygen.

On the other hand I wonder why it worked again after you re-inserted the
Schematron PI.

Is anyone else able to reproduce the "[ISO Schematron] XML Parsing
failed" error with the internal-subset-only declaration above?

Gerrit