[oXygen-user] Java updates

Oxygen XML Editor Support (Adrian Buza) support at oxygenxml.com
Thu Jan 25 03:38:43 CST 2018

Hello,

First, I'd like to point out that we do not recommend using a system
wide Java for Oxygen. Any system wide Java update could potentially
affect the app to the point that it may not start.

The reason we provide a bundled Java runtime in our Oxygen distribution
is that we thoroughly test Oxygen against that specific version of Java
and we make sure that it provides the best user experience at the time
the product is released.
If there is a specific issue with the version of Java runtime bundled
with Oxygen that has been fixed in later versions, we provide
instructions for replacing the bundled Java runtime with a newer version.

>   1. Whether or not it's safe to update the system wide JDK to 1.9 (aka
>      Java 9) for oXygen 19.1.
Oxygen 19.1 does not support Java 9 and will not start with it. So,
considering you removed the JRE bundled with Oxygen and it is now using
the system wide JRE (or JDK), the answer is no, it's not safe to update
that to Java 9.

>   2. Has oXygenXML Editor 19.1 been tested with JDK/JRE 1.9?
We have tested v19.1 and know it does not start with it. Java 9 makes
some significant changes to the Java architecture and bundled libraries
which breaks the Oxygen startup and several features during runtime.

>   3. If so, are there any known issues affecting oXygen with JDK 1.9?
For v19.1 and older, it simply won't start.

>   4. If so, would it be best to stick with JDK 1.8 for the moment?
For Oxygen 19.1 and older, there is no other option right now. Please
stick with Java 8.

Solution:
Do not use a system wide Java with Oxygen. If you want to run Oxygen
with the latest version of Java that is supported, replace the JRE
bundled with Oxygen with the latest version of Java 8 available from Oracle:
1. Download the JRE .tar.gz distribution, e.g. jre-8u162-macosx-x64.tar.gz
2. Unpack it, rename its folder to 'jre.bundle' and move it to
Oxygen/.install4j (after the old 'jre.bundle' has been removed or renamed).
3. Start Oxygen and check the Java version in Help > About, "System
Properties" tab. Look for the "java.runtime.version" property.

Regards,
Adrian

Adrian Buza
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support