[oXygen-user] Java updates

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Tue Jan 23 16:50:11 CST 2018

Hello,

	So apparently Oracle are planning to EOL JDK 1.8 in September
this year.  In addition to this, I tend to nuke the builtin version of
Java bundles within oXygen in .install4j/jre.bundle and replace it
with a symlink of .install4j/jre.bundle pointing to the system wide
install at /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/current (which is itself
a symlink pointing to the current version.

So currently the oXygen installation contains this:

bash-4.4$ ls -l /usr/local/oXygenXML/stable/oxygen/.install4j/jre.bundle
lrwxr-xr-x  1 ben  wheel  41 20 Dec 08:16 /usr/local/oXygenXML/stable/oxygen/.install4j/jre.bundle -> /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/current
bash-4.4$ ls -l /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/current
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  50  1 Nov 03:18 /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/current -> /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_151.jdk
bash-4.4$

What I need to know is:

 1. Whether or not it's safe to update the system wide JDK to 1.9 (aka
    Java 9) for oXygen 19.1.
 2. Has oXygenXML Editor 19.1 been tested with JDK/JRE 1.9?
 3. If so, are there any known issues affecting oXygen with JDK 1.9?
 4. If so, would it be best to stick with JDK 1.8 for the moment?

Copying the user list in because I'm reasonably sure others may be
interested in the answers to this one.

Regards,
Ben

--
|   Ben McGinnes   |   Adversarial Press   |  Author and Publisher  |
| Writer, Trainer, Systems Administrator, Developer, ICT Consultant |