[oXygen-user] Help to transform XML/XSLT to PDF output

oXygen XML Editor Support (Costin Sandoi) support at oxygenxml.com
Thu Jul 14 04:03:46 CDT 2016

Hi David,

If you have an XSL stylesheet (XSL-FO) that produces an FO (which can
then be processed into PDF), you should create a scenario of the "XML
transformation with XSLT" type for the "current XML file".

To set up the scenario you can either:
- open the XML file and look in the "Transformation Scenarios" view
(Window > Show View > Transformation Scenarios)
- open the XML file and from the main menu invoke Document ->
Transformation -> "Configure Transformation Scenario(s)" (there's a
corresponding button in the toolbar - looks like a wrench near a tiny
"play" button)
- right click on the XML file in the Project view and from the
contextual menu choose Transform -> "Configure Transformation Scenario(s)".

In the "Configure Transformation Scenario(s)" dialog press "New" and
select "XML transformation with XSLT" to create a new scenario:
1. Give it an appropriate name
2. Leave the "XML URL" field to its default (${currentFileURL})
3. In the "XSL URL" field browse for your stylesheet.
4. If you have an XSLT 2.0 stylesheet choose from the transformer combo
Saxon-PE or Saxon-EE (we always suggest using the -PE edition, unless
the -EE is specifically required), otherwise you can leave it to Saxon6.5.5.
5. Since you also need to publish the result in PDF format, you should
go to the "FO Processor" tab in the configuration dialog and enable the
"Perform FO Processing" option (make sure you have "pdf" selected under
"Method").
6. You should also specify the output file in the "Output" tab. Please
note that the "Save as" field must refer a single file, NOT an output
directory. Use the editor variables to compose a generic name instead of
a fixed one.
e.g in the "Save as" field you can specify: ${cfd}/${cfn}.pdf which
translates into <current-file-directory>/<current-filename>.pdf
7. You may also want to enable the "Open in Browser/System Application"
option so that the PDF is opened in your default system associated PDF
reader. Also clear the "XML" box from the "Show in results view as" section.
8. Press OK in the editing dialog and then "Save and close".

To run the transformation for an open XML file, go to "Configure
Transformation Scenario" and select the transformation scenario you have
just configured (check its corresponding box in the scenarios list),
then click "Apply associated" to start the transformation process.
If your document is already associated with the scenario, you could just
press the "Apply Transformation Scenario(s)" button (big red "play"
button in the toolbar), or use the equivalent action from oXygen menu
Document > Transformation.

Furthermore, if you need to apply this scenario to multiple XML files
(batch transformation of your XML documents), you should first add them
to your project, select them (or their folder) in the Project view and
from the contextual menu (right click) choose either:
- Transform -> "Transform with...", then select your scenario from the
list and press "Apply selected scenarios" (this only applies the
specific transformation scenario once, but it does not also associate
the scenario with the files for further transformations)
- Transform -> "Configure Transformation Scenario(s)" and select your
scenario from the list and press "Apply selected scenarios". This will
also associate the scenario with the selected files /folders, so next
time you can simply use Transform -> "Apply Transformation Scenario(s)"
and the associated scenario will be used.

The transformation scenario will be applied by Oxygen separately for
each XML file. This is why the output of the transformation scenario
must refer a single file.

I hope these tips help.

Regards,
Costin

Costin Săndoi
<oXygen/>^® XML Editor, Author and Developer
http://www.oxygenxml.com
Tel: +1-650-352-1250 ext.302
Fax: +40-251-461482

information and is intended only for the individual(s) named. If
you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate,
distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender
immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake
and delete this e-mail from your system. Any quotation contained
herein has a validity of 30 days, unless otherwise specified.