[oXygen-user] Feature request: Improvement of Japanese search for WebHelp

T. Hatanaka
Sat Apr 11 21:26:38 CDT 2015

Let me revive this old thread. Could you reconsider this?

As already said, the Japanese text has no explicit word breakers. It's something like "THEQUICKBROWNFOXJUMPSOVERTHELAZYDOG."
The current WebHelp implementation is tokenizing it into "TH" "HE" "EQ" "QU" "UI" "IC" "CK"... both at build-time and run-time. It works to some extent, but not quite comfortable.

That's why analyzers such as Kuromoji are most welcome. And, to deliver fully capable search experience, WebHelp requires both build-time and run-time analyzers, as you pointed out.

That being said, it would still benefit a lot to integrate sophisticated analyzers, even if it's only at build-time. Run-time ones are less required, I guess. When the Japanese people search Web, they, human beings, usually perform a kind of tokenization and normalization by themselves.
i.e. They do not usually enter "BROWNFOXJUMPS" in the search text box. In most cases we can expect them to type "BROWN FOX JUMP".
Actually "Please enter keywords separated by spaces" has been a common instruction found on the Japanese search UI. People have got used to it.
So I guess that if the index were created by a sophisticated analyzer at build-time with custom dictionaries, we could improve search experience a lot with relatively minor tweaks in run-time JavaScript.

Here's another piece of news:
Kuromoji has been ported to JavaScript: https://github.com/takuyaa/kuromoji.js
I haven't tried it, but expect some difficulties. I heard it required a 17MB dictionary.

Thanks,
T. Hatanaka