[oXygen-user] Using XQuery Update Modifies Whole Document

Eliot Kimber
Wed Sep 17 09:10:46 CDT 2014

I suspect this is a limitation or unavoidable consequence of how XQuery
update works, or at least how Saxon does things, but I wanted to check.

If I have a DTD-based document, e.g., a DITA map or topic, and apply an
XQuery update to it using Saxon EE, I noticed that the entire document is
updated such that the DOCTYPE declaration is removed and all defaulted
attributes are now explicit in the instance, which is obviously not to be
desired.

Is there any way to avoid this behavior?

My alternative is to use XSLT of course but I was trying to use XQuery
update as being more convenient for certain types of enhancements to
existing documents, namely adding attributes to existing elements.

Thanks,

Eliot
—————
Eliot Kimber, Owner