[oXygen-user] Author Mode - CSS style(s) in effect

John Kirkilis
Mon Sep 15 12:52:16 CDT 2014

As a user, I've also registered an enhancement request for a CSS inspector in Oxygen. In the meantime, I've resorted to duplicating selectors and setting debug colors to a background to detect padding and margin issues or colorizing text or setting other attributes in CSS to detect which selector is getting fired, which makes the whole trial and error process very time consuming. It is analogous to sprinkling printf statements in your code to debug a program. It's possible, but it's much more time consuming and error prone than going into a debugger to tell it to pause when part of your code is attempting to alter a particular variable, or set a particular attribute in this case.

In the meantime, Syncrosoft has been very responsive if you send them your framework.

I would be satisfied for a while if there was an Author Mode preference debug switch to dump a text trace of which attributes were being set by which selectors in which file. It would be an interim solution until the intricacies of a developing a GUI CSS inspector could be prioritized and conquered. At least with such a trace, a user could search in reverse chronological order to see where an attribute was last set in the cascading sequence. If they would allow the use of wildcard strings to specify which elements, attributes, values, and CSS files to filter by, it would be even better. If there was an option to dump a CSV file of such data, I could do the filtering in a spreadsheet if I had to. Another option for such an implementation would be to dump the data into one of Oxygen's tabular output views where sorting and filtering could be done by the same criteria I mentioned earlier.

My 2 cents.

John