[oXygen-user] Pretty Print <lb/> in Oxygen

Syd Bauman
Tue Oct 28 16:06:57 CDT 2014

I agree with Gerrit; while all Andreas says is true, it is not an
argument against having an option for format-and-indent to
intelligently insert specific whitespace in front of (or after)
desired elements. (Not only are we suggesting this as an option, I
suspect all of us on the "I like this feature" side would agree it
should be an option that is off by default, for the very reasons
Andreas articulates :-)

E.g., adding two new tabs to Options > Preferences / Editor / Format
/ XML / Element Spacing:

 1) Starts new line:
    Element names or XPath expressions for which the start-tag (or
    empty-element tag) should be forced to start on a new line (and
    then indented appropriately)

 2) Ends line:
    Element names or XPath expressions for which the start-tag (or
    empty-element tag) should be made the last token on a line

Both lists should start out empty, of course.

P.S. IIRC, last I checked (years ago) those were not "XPath
     expressions", they were not even full XSLT patterns, but rather
     were a very limited set of XSLT patterns. If that is still true,
     I would strongly recommend changing the wording slightly and
     putting some pop-up help or information right there.