[oXygen-user] [ann] oXygen XML Editor 16.1

George Bina
Wed Oct 8 10:16:20 CDT 2014

Hi everyone!

We are happy to announce a new release of oXygen XML Editor, version
16.1! The full details of the new version can be read from
http://oxygenxml.com/whatisnew16.1.html
and you can download it from
http://oxygenxml.com/download.html

In this release we made incremental improvements in many areas.

The Quick fixes support introduced in version 16.0 was extended to be
available also from the Author page and new quick fixes were extracted
for fixing XML validation errors when you validate against an XML Schema
with Xerces. Next we will look into extending this to cover also Relax
NG and DTDs as well as implementing Schematron based fixes where the
fixes are provided by the schema author as possible solutions to the
identified problems.

HTML tooltips were already available for content completion proposals in
some cases but schema annotations were still presented as text. Now, we
identify if an element, attribute or value annotation contains XHTML
fragments and in that case we present it rendered as HTML when that
component is selected in the content completion window - this allows a
nicer display and provides support for links, so you can immediately
point the user to an external resource that provides more details about
the current selected proposal from the content completion window.
You can see this in action in the XSLT editor, as we updated all those
annotations to use XHTML.

The XPath execution was extended in version 16 to a specified scope like
the project, the selected files, etc. In version 16.1 we extended this
support to include also the current archive, the XPath being executed on
all the files of an EPUB, OOXML, ODF or a ZIP archive and there is also
an option to treat ZIP-based archives as folders, if such an archive is
included in a scope you apply an XPath expression on.

The track changes functionality covers in not only text content but also
structure and attributes. The surround operation was a difficult one,
because you either do not track that or you mark all the content as
deleted and then inserted together with the new element that surrounds
it. In 16.1 we introduced support for understanding a wrap operation and
tracking only the element that wrapped the content.

We worked on color profiles but now all that work was ready for 16.1 but
we still managed to get support for high contract themes on Windows.
More, the Author visual mode will create application specific media
rules to allow you to specify styles that will apply on white or black
background and we updated DITA and DocBook to react to these so that the
Author mode also adjusts the colors when a high contract theme is
applied on the editor.

Saxon 9.6 was just released and so was a new version of Calabash but it
was not possible to integrated them overnight, so we include the
previous stable versions of both of them. However, work already started
to integrate Saxon 9 and we can provide early access to this as soon as
it is ready in case someone is interested.

I think I can go on like this for another hour :). Please see the
release notes linked above for all the details and do not hesitate to
contact us if you want more details about any of them.