[oXygen-user] Easy insertion of en/em-dash

Jirka Kosek
Thu Oct 2 03:30:25 CDT 2014

On 2.10.2014 8:55, Alex Jitianu wrote:
> As current workarounds, other than the already mentioned code
> templates, I can also think of: - the "Insert from Character Map..."
> dialog. The action is available in the Edit menu. You can use it to
> insert the needed "dash" elements. There is also a "Symbols" toolbar
> that presents the recently used characters. So the "dash" characters
> will be just one click away (maybe two).

Yes, but this is too slow if such characters has to be typed often.

> - in the Author page (if this editing mode is an option), you can
> define author actions, each one inserting a specific "dash". You can
> associate shortcuts to these actions of add them in the toolbar, menu
> etc.

Yes, this is what I did for now, I have mapped Ctrl+Shift+minus to
insert fragment action. But direct support for typing just several "-"
strokes would be nicer as I'm used to this from TeX and Emacs input mode.

> We have some future plans to add proper Auto-correction support in
> Oxygen (with more than em-dash insertion) by using the auto-correct
> rule files which are bundled with Open Office. Maybe we'll find some
> time to implement this in an Oxygen 17.x release next year. Probably
> this auto-correct will initially be available only in the Author
> visual editing mode.

That would be nice. Also it makes sense to have a list of elements where
auto-corrections will not be active even in Author mode. Imagine writing
computer book -- you don't want to change dashes and quotes to other
characters inside elements like programlisting and code (in DocBook).

Thanks and have a nice day,

				Jirka

  Jirka Kosek      e-mail:       http://xmlguru.cz