[oXygen-user] Repeat fo:table-caption for a table that spans multiple pages question

G. Ken Holman
Fri Aug 8 09:21:09 CDT 2014

At 2014-08-07 14:23 +0000, Coe, David E wrote:
>Fo:retrieve-table-marker is not supported by
>these processors. I have tried the various
>methods of using fo:retrieve-marker that I have
>found through several forums but I was not
>successful in solving this specific problem even
>though I did learn new stuff which allowed me to
>get this far.  The best I was able to do was use
>fo:retrieve-marker for table caption in a
>static-content area but it repeats the
>table-caption on every page in the page header
>instead of displaying directly above the table.

*Every* page?  From what I can see the pages
before the table would be fine and the problem
would only be pages after the table.

>Below is my code snippet:
><fo:page-sequence master-reference="first">
><fo:static-content flow-name="xsl-region-before">
><fo:table-caption>
><fo:block font-weight="bold" text-align="center">
><!-- fo:retrieve-marker -->
><fo:retrieve-marker retrieve-class-name="table-caption-continued"
>retrieve-position="first-starting-within-page" />

I think you need first-including-carryover in
order for the last page with the table to work.

><xsl:template match="table">
><fo:table-and-caption>
><fo:block>
><!-- fo:marker  -->
><fo:marker marker-class-name="table-caption-continued">
><xsl:apply-templates select="title" />
></fo:marker>
></fo:block>
><fo:block>
><fo:marker marker-class-name="table-caption-continued">
><xsl:apply-templates select="title" /> - Continued </fo:marker>
></fo:block>

That looks fine ... the first page of the table
gets just the title, while the subsequent pages get the " - Continued".

></fo:table-body>
></fo:table>
></fo:table-and-caption>
></xsl:template>

What I don't see above is "turning it off" ...
after the table you should have a block that
defines the marker to be empty so that when it is
retrieved on subsequent pages what is retrieved is nothing.

There is helpful information on pages 257-260 (A4
version) or pages 259-262 (US-letter version) of
my XSL-FO book that is available for free
download on a "try and buy" basis at
http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/training/#pfux
.... if you decide not to pay for the book, please
delete the copy that you download for free.

I hope this helps.

Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/video.htm |
Crane Softwrights Ltd.            http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/ |
G. Ken Holman                   mailto: |
Google+ profile:      http://plus.google.com/+GKenHolman-Crane/about |
Legal business disclaimers:    http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/legal |

---