[oXygen-user] Improving usability of bundled FOP

Sorin Ristache sorin at sync.ro
Fri Oct 11 04:39:08 CDT 2013

Hi,

In our internal tests with an older version of Apache FOP the
<auto-detect/> directive in the FOP configuration file did not work very
well to detect and use the system fonts. We will test it again with the
latest FOP version. If it detects the system fonts correctly and helps
to avoid generating and registering the font metrics manually we will
surely add it in the Oxygen installation for the platforms where it
works (Windows, Mac, Linux).

The problem with the OFFO hyphenation patterns library was always the
license terms, for both the old hyphenation files (for older versions of
Apache FOP, before the FOP redesign in version 1.0) and the new ones.
Now we include in Oxygen a recent version of FOP so we should care only
about the new hyphenation files. But each source file of the new
hyphenation patterns includes a different set of license terms. It is
true that some files have the same license but we would have to check
each source file to make sure it is compatible with a commercial
application. For example we do not and we will not include in Oxygen any
GPL licensed library.