[oXygen-user] Automatically generating XML schemas using XSLT

Mark Baker mbaker at analecta.com
Thu Nov 22 10:44:41 CST 2012

That's precisely why I don't use <redefine>. Using the group method does
allow you to redefine the nested element while importing a top-level
element.

Imported schema:

element "foo"

                complex-content

                                group ref="foo-content"

Importing schema B:

include "imported.xsd"

element "bar"

                complex-content

                                sequence

                                                element ref="foo"

group "foo-content"

                sequence

                                element "baz"

Importing schema A:

include "imported.xsd"

element "gruznatz"

                complex-content

                                sequence

                                                element ref="foo"

group "foo-content"

                sequence

                                element "bonk"

Now the valid content model for documents using schema A is /bar/foo/baz,
and the valid content model for documents using schema B is
/gruznats/foo/bonk.

Thus element foo is reused in both schemas, but with a different content
model. (Obviously this does not make sense if you change the entire content
model, as this example does, but it makes perfect sense if you want to
redefine part of the content model of foo depending on where you import it.)

Mark

http://www.xfront.com/ZeroOneOrManyNamespaces.html, which