[oXygen-user] new here...with a DocBook question

André Wyrwa
Mon Mar 1 06:30:10 CST 2010

Hei,

my name's Andre and i just joined the list.

I'm currently using a trial of oXygen Editor (the eclipse plugin
installed in Aptana Studio) and am planning to buy the product.

I'm primarily using the Author at this stage as a DocBook IDE.

I'm not quite happy with the results of the transformation to PDF,
particularly around Image scaling and general DocBook support.

Image scaling:
It seems the PDF transformation always scales images. That seems
somewhat logical. However, i'm writing software documentation with a lot
of screenshots. Other PDF exporter processes (like the one in OOo)
manage to translate the screenshot's pixel size into a print unit
(mm/pc/in) that matches the original image size more adequately.

In the DocBook case, the stylesheet seems to make the images somewhat
too large.

Also, i couldn't find a way to limit the width of the scaled image to a
maximum, but keep lower images at their original scale.

Can anyone please help me with that?

Tag support:
It seems the transformation is a little incomplete/doesn't support some
DocBook tags. Particularly, i have some 'task's in there that don't seem
to translate into the PDF (they plain disappear including all their
descendants).

I'm using Apache FOP for FO processing and from what i gather that might
be the problem. I'm running Linux and am happy to install xmlroff, if
someone can confirm it helps. However, xmlroff seems incomplete, as
well. Is there any 'complete' FO processor that would be the recommended
choice?

What are others using for DocBook to PDF transformations? Should i go
via LaTeX instead?

Lastly, i installed docbook2odf and setup a new transformation profile
within oXygen that uses the docbook2odf stylesheets. Which at first
sight seems to do the right thing, but when i try opening the
resulting .odm (??) file in OpenOffice, the good thing throws me the
ascii import dialog and i subsequently get the plain XML code in Writer.

Thanks for any help or pointers, upfront.
Andre.