[oXygen-user] How to Recover from Attempt to Open Large XML File

Sorin Ristache
Mon Aug 31 02:12:58 CDT 2009

Hello,

If you set 2 GB of memory with the -Xmx parameter in oxygenMac.sh it
should be enough for opening a file of 20 MB. Some files need more
memory than other files of the same size depending on the file structure
and the number of tags but I think that 1.5 GB is always enough for a
file of 20 MB. If the heap memory set by -Xmx is not enough Oxygen
reports an Out Of Memory error after 1 or 2 minutes and allows you to
close and reopen the application without reopening the file.

Other option for breaking the cycle if you don't want to wait until the
Out Of Memory error is editing the file with the Oxygen preferences and
replacing the lines

   <field name="lastOpenedFiles">
     <openedFileInfo-array>
       <openedFileInfo>
         <field name="systemID">
     </openedFileInfo-array>
   </field>

with the lines:

   <field name="lastOpenedFiles">
     <openedFileInfo-array></openedFileInfo-array>
   </field>

The file is called oxyOptionsSa10.3.xml and is located in
<user-home>/Library/Preferences/com.oxygenxml. Starting with the next
version you can load the file using built-in special support for large
files. That reduces the time and memory necessary for loading a very
large file so the Out Of Memory is avoided but there are limitations.
You can try this feature with the following All Platforms kit:

http://www.oxygenxml.com/update/August20/oxygen.tar.gz

You set the minimum file size for activating the large file support with
the option "Optimize loading in the Text page for files over (MB)" that
is available in Preferences -> Editor -> Open/Save.