[oXygen-user] Xpath and Saxon return tabs as text

Philipp Steinkrüger
Wed Sep 3 02:38:40 CDT 2008

Dear Oxygen-Users,

i am having a problem with an indented XML File. The File looks like
this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<TEI xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns="http://www.i-d-e.de/ns/1.0
">
     <teiHeader>
         <fileDesc>
             <titleStmt>
                 <title>MS Einsiedeln</title>
             </titleStmt>
             <publicationStmt>
             </publicationStmt><sourceDesc>
             </sourceDesc></fileDesc>
     </teiHeader>
     <text>
dem vater n<ex>atur</ex>elich
                                 dar<lb/>vmbe iſt er alvermvgende<lb/
 >vnd enpfat niht von ite<lb
                                 />des<gap reason=""/> er ſelber nit
en iſt an<lb/>ſiner go<unclear
                                 >tl</unclear>icher macht wan<lb/>ers
weſelich i<ex>n</ex> ime vnd
                                 an<lb/>ime ſelben beſloſſen
hat<space unit="letters" quantity="1"
                         /></p>
   </text>
</TEI>

Now, using the following XPath 2.0 expression: //text(), the tabs are
returned as text-nodes, for example the first tab before the tag
<teiHeader>. In fact, my DTD does not allow #PCDATA inside <TEI>, but
the document is validated without any problems. To me this seems kind
of schizophrenic, or am I mistaken? Btw: the same file in XMLSpy with
its build-in xslt engine as well as MS XML parser with the same xPath
expression does not return the tabs as text-nodes.

Any ideas?
Philipp

PS: I am using Oxygen 9.3

--
Philipp Steinkrüger M.A.
Philosophisches Seminar der Universität zu Köln

http://www.thomasinstitut.uni-koeln.de
http://www.philosophie.uni-koeln.de
http://www.ide.de

UNIVERSITÄT ZU KÖLN