[oXygen-user] Oxygen hanging at startup

Busch Paul
Fri Feb 23 06:48:44 CST 2007

Hello Sorin,

> Please make a backup copy of the folder
> [user-home-folder]/Application Data/com.oxygenxml, rename it or delete
> it, start oXygen 8.0 again and enter the license key again. Does it
> start up normally now?
I have had that idea too and have tried it out already. At first glance
the situation did not change: "Application loading", 2%, hang with 100%
processor usage.
When you told me to do the same again, I just started Oxygen and waited
for things to come. Six (!) minutes later Oxygen was there and ready to
accept the licence key. It turns out that I was just too impatient and
killed the process before the six minutes were over.
Above that, every start of Oxygen takes that long, not just the first
one. Also, whenever I open a dialog that has to do with files (Save as,
Open...) Oxygen's processor usage goes up and the program seems to hang.
I think if I invested the time to wait, it would all work as expected,
though very slowly.
Could it be that McAfee is the culprit? The fact that the issue comes up
whenever files are concerned suggests that. On the other hand the task
manager shows that it is Oxygen who is using the processor excessively
while scan32.exe is using its usual 2-15%.
Unfortunately I don't have the files from my working installation any
more. I threw them away when I first thought that this wasn't the
reason. Maybe the currently available files in com.oxygenxml are just as
good. At least we know that the problem is not that Oxygen is not
starting at all but rather that startup is very slow.

Regards

Paul