[oXygen-user] [ANN] oXygen XML Editor 7.0 beta

George Cristian Bina
Fri Jan 6 09:32:23 CST 2006

Dear Bjoern,

Thanks for your feedback. Please see some comments below.

Björn Wolf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the Beta is just another continuously improved Release of oXygen.
> I like all the new features but there are also a few things i really miss:
>
> * Sorting of tabs for similar file types (configurable):
> It would be cool to have oXygen sort newly opened files as of specific
> (or standard) rules you can define. So if you are editing a bunch of
> different file types (xml, xsl, javascript, css) the editor should sort
> it automatically. An alternative scenario would be to group them instead
> of sorting. Lets say oXygen shows XML and XSL files in the upper
> vertically splitted view and files like CSS and JavaScript in the lower
> view.

We have something like you describe in the debugging perspectives where
the XSLT/XQuery files are automatically opened in a separate tab stack
from the other files.
In general if you follow a couple of simple rules when you open a file
you can achieve that. For instance if I open an XML file and a schema
and then split the editors in two stacks then when I want to open a
schema I make sure the focus is on the schema editor and then open the
schema file - the schema will be opened in a tab in the schema stack. If
I want to open an XML file I make sure I have the focus on the XML file
and then open the new XML - thus it will be opened in the XML stack.

> * Collapsing views
> The dockable views are a killer-feature and so far not seen by any other
> editor i used for this spectrum of technologies. But what could be
> really helpful is a way to collapse those views. So in case of three
> vertically splitted views you could expand on of theses to edit. Then
> you will switch to another view just by pressing a button. Combined with
> the above mentioned sorting of tabs people could structure there
> workflow a lot more.

What you describe here seems exactly what happens if you stack those
views together in a tab pane. In this way all you have to do is to click
on the tab for the desired view and you will have that visible.

> * Customizing formatting of non-XML files
> Formatting a XML-native file is already implemented and due to the fact
> of the nature of XML there is little difficulty about
> (re)pretty-printing such a document.
> But for files like CSS and JavaScript there are a lot of different ways
> to style.
> Is there a possibility to customize this behaviour? In my case i really
> don't like oXygens way to strip blank lines between class declarations
> or to strip the whitespace between a property and value (display:none)
> on auto-completion simply because the syntax highlight does not
> recognize this as expected.

It is true there are not many options for formatting non XML files, I
will add this as an enhancement request on our bugzilla.
I am not able to reproduce the formatting issue that you reported
though, the display : none remains like it is after format and indent.
We also fixed since the beta a few issues with the syntax coloring for CSS.