[oXygen-user] Odd webhelp with feedback error message

Ben McGinnes
Tue Sep 1 18:14:13 CDT 2015

On 28/08/2015 3:04 am, Jim Henderson wrote:
> Thanks for the follow-up, Ben.
>
> I'm a little puzzled by this suggestion, though - the PHP source code
> that I see on git is all C, not Perl.

Maybe they went for a full rewrite at some point, but it was
definitely implemented in Perl in the beginning.  Remember when PHP
stood for Personal Home Page?  Back then.

> I don't know why anyone would build an interpreted language out of
> another interpreted language - that doesn't seem like a good
> idea. :)

It wasn't.  ;)

> More importantly, though, there's no dependency between php and perl
> - in fact, the php5 spec file doesn't list perl as a dependency at
> all.

Hopefully that means there was a full rewrite (and if so then it was
probably when they changed from version 4 to version 5).

> That said, both platforms (working and non-working) have the same
> versions of perl and php (perl is *slightly* newer on the broken
> system, but since there's no dependency between perl and php, that
> build version difference shouldn't be an issue - the version numbers
> still match).

It is somewhat more odd, though, if PHP dumped Perl for the thing to
produce that very distinctive Perl type output.  Of course I suppose
it could be a PHP package that's not part of the main PHP code which
was written by a Perl dev and utilises a similar naming scheme, but
that's a bit of a reach.

> Oxygen support is looking into the issue here - they've been able to
> reproduce the failure included in the e-mail message.

Excellent.  I'll be curious to know what it was when it's solved.

> FWIW, Novell doesn't "own" SUSE any more.  They're a Micro Focus
> company (as is Novell).  Novell hasn't "owned" them since 2011, when
> Attachmate acquired Novell.  Attachmate has since been acquired by
> MF. :)

The history of Linux distro ownership ... it's like a game of cup and
balls except with infinite cups and always a couple of outlier balls
just to confuse everyone.  I blame The SCO Group (because even if I'm
wrong, no one will ever defend them).

Regards,
Ben