[oXygen-user] Lobbying for a new feature to save on indentation

G. Ken Holman gkholman at CraneSoftwrights.com
Sat Mar 1 07:32:01 CST 2014

Fellow oXygen users,

I've just learned that a request for a new feature I made long ago is
getting stale because not enough people have expressed an interest in
having it added to the software.

Perhaps this is because people haven't considered how helpful it
might be, so I thought I would lobby here that if you like the idea
of this feature you might vote for it as well.

In all my SGML and XML editing it has been my preference to keep
children of the document element un-indented and flush left, starting
the indentation only with the grandchildren of the document
element.  I see no utility in indenting the children of the document
element since it is unambiguous if an element at the left edge is a
document element or not:  if there is element or text content before
the start tag or after the end tag, then the element must not be the
document element.

It may not sound like saving one indent is a lot, but consider the
file size since that one indent is saved on *every* line.  Also, it
saves one indent for those of our files (in particular the XSL-FO
files I review by eye to debug) are indented way over to the wrap position.

The software currently indents children of the document element using
the preference for indent width ... I suggest a new preference
checkbox (by default set one way or the other to preserve existing
behaviour), where the user can indicate the preference such that
indentation starts with descendants of children of the document
element, thus putting those children of the document element at
column 1 of the line.  I'll let the software designers decide what
wording to use and whether the box is checked or not as the default
to preserve existing behaviour.

Please send your interest to <support at oxygenxml.com> rather than to
this mail list, so that it gets properly recorded and doesn't clog up
threads here.

Thanks for listening!

--
Public XSLT, XSL-FO, UBL & code list classes: Melbourne, AU May 2014 |
Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm |

---