[oXygen-user] OSX: Using Java 7 With Oxygen

oXygen XML Editor Support (Ionela Istodor)
Wed Jul 23 13:14:29 CDT 2014

Hi Eliot,

First I'd like to point out that the primary and recommended
distribution of Oxygen for Mac OS X 10.5 and later (.zip) still requires
Java SE 6 (from Apple). The reason for this is that Java SE 6 from Apple
still has better integration and compatibility with OS X for desktop
applications and is more stable then the Java distributions from Oracle.
The .app launchers from this distribution do not recognize Java SE 7 or
later from Oracle, only Java SE 6 from Apple. On the other hand the .sh
scripts (e.g. oxygenMac.sh) work with any available Java (6 or later)
runtime.

There is also available a distribution of Oxygen v16.0 for OS X 10.8 and
later (.tar.gz) that bundles Java SE 8u5. We have had various issues on
OS X with Java SE 7, so we have decided to use Java SE 8 instead.

This download is somewhat hidden among the 'Requirements' bulleted list.
If you have trouble finding it, here's a direct download link:
http://www.oxygenxml.com/InstData/Editor/MacOSX/VM/oxygen.tar.gz

Note that this distribution only uses the bundled Java runtime (Java SE
8), not the system installed Java runtime.

Regards,
Ionela

--
Ionela Istodor
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support

Tel: +1-650-352-1250 ext.301
Fax: +40-251-461482

information and is intended only for the individual(s) named. If you are
not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy
this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have
received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
Any quotation contained herein has a validity of 30 days, unless
otherwise specified.