[oXygen-user] Fwd: Escaping markup, preserving contents in XProc

Oxygen XML Editor Support support at oxygenxml.com
Wed Jan 22 08:39:16 CST 2014

Hello Wendell,

Normally, it should have worked correctly if you had specified an
appropriate encoding for the serialization.
e.g.
If you don't specify an encoding, it's expected for it to use the
default platform encoding.

However, there is a bug in Calabash in that even if you specify an
encoding, it ignores it and always uses the platform encoding:
https://github.com/ndw/xmlcalabash1/issues/131
The bug has already been fixed, but I believe the bugfix is not yet
available in the released version of Calabash (1.0.16).

I can reproduce this bug with the Calabash 1.0.13 and 1.0.16 standalone
(independently from Oxygen), with *Saxon 9.5* running on Windows 7. On
Windows 7 I have the default file encoding Cp1250, so it always gets
mangled.

For the standalone Calabash I can easily work around this by forcing in
the Calabash startup script the file encoding with a Java argument:
-Dfile.encoding="UTF8"

You can do the same for Oxygen, if this is crucial for you.
For Windows/Linux, edit the corresponding .vmoptions file (e.g.
oxygen15.1.vmoptions) and on a new line add the argument mentioned
above. For For OS X, you have to Ctrl-click(or right click) on the
Oxygen application icon(Oxygen XML Editor.app) in Finder and from the
pop-up menu select Show Package Contents. Then navigate to the Contents
directory and open for editing the 'Info.plist' file. Open it with
'TextEdit' and look for the key VMOptions. Append the Java argument that
forces the encoding after the last argument (-XX:MaxPermSize=256m).

Check if the argument is correctly passed to Oxygen in Help > About,
System properties, file.encoding.

Note that forcing the default encoding in Oxygen will have some
repercussions. The default encoding for text (non-XML) files will change
to this forced value. You can manually readjust this to the correct
encoding for your platform in Options > Preferences, Encoding, 'Encoding
for non XML files'.

Let me know if you need further assistance with this.

Regards,
Adrian

Adrian Buza
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support