[oXygen-user] [ann] oXygen XML Editor 15.2

Oxygen XML Editor Support support at oxygenxml.com
Mon Feb 3 08:17:59 CST 2014

Hello Jens,

Two distributions of Oxygen v15.2 are available for OS X:
- *Mac OS X 10.5 and later (Requires Java SE 6)* available as a .zip archive
- *OS X 10.7 and later (Includes Java VM 1.7.0_45)* available as a
.tar.gz archive

When v15.2 was initially released, both distributions were available for
download side by side clearly visible on the download page from our web
site (two big red buttons).
However, we have received a significant number of problem reports for
the distribution that is bundled with Java 7 (.tar.gz). Most of the
reported problems are Java 7 related, either plain bugs or stability issues.
Considering these issues, we have decided to relocate the download link
for this distribution among the notes from the download page. So, while
it is still available for download if you need it, it's not immediately
apparent (there's no big red button for download). You can still find it
in the 'Requirements' section (3rd bullet) from the download page,
there's a link on "*OS X 10.7 and later download*". There are also a few
comments there, warning you about the stability issues of that
distribution and the Java SE 6 alternative distribution.

We've anticipated the move to Java 7 on OS X since day one of its
release. However, when compared with Apple's implementation of Java SE
6, Java SE 7 still had some way to go on OS X.
We waited and delayed the move to Java 7 on OS X as much as we could,
hoping it would become more stable in time. Java SE 7u40 was a big step
in that direction, fixing a lot of OS X specific problems. After testing
it, we finally felt comfortable releasing a Java SE 7 distribution of
Oxygen (v15.2). However, watching the problem reports coming in now,
tells us we were too optimistic.

We will continue to offer both distributions supporting Java 6 and 7 for
future versions of Oxygen. However, until we are sure that the Java 7
distribution is stable for most users, we will continue to recommend the
Java 6 distribution and keep the download link for the Java 7
distribution among the download notes. In other words, if you really
need to use Oxygen with Java 7, you are welcome to do so, but be
forewarned that currently it is not as stable as the Java 6 distribution.

Regards,
Adrian

Adrian Buza
oXygen XML Editor and Author Support