[oXygen-user] Debugger stops showing parameters for a while?

Lars Huttar lars_huttar at sil.org
Wed Sep 5 21:31:02 CDT 2012

Hello,

I'm using Oxygen 14.0, build 2012062215.
In the debugger, with Saxon 9.4.0.3 PE. I have a stylesheet running with
a specified XML document as input. A certain named template is called,

   <xsl:template name="allowed-formats">
      <xsl:param name="mixedItemTypes" select="false()" as="xs:boolean"/>
      <xsl:param name="tableScopeType" select="''" as="xs:string"/>

      <xsl:variable name="file" select="."/>
      <xsl:variable name="typePlural" select="local-name($file/..)"/>

I step through these lines one by one using "Step Into".
When the cursor goes past the first <xsl:param> line, the debugger
"Variables" window shows the mixedItemTypes parameter, as it should.
But when I step past the second <xsl:param> line (and the cursor goes to
the "."), the $mixedItemTypes parameter disappears from the Variables
window, and the $tableScopeType parameter doesn't show up.
After a few more steps in the same template, both parameters appear in
the Variables window.

This makes it very awkward to debug what's happening, if the time when
you need to see the value of one of the parameters happens to be a time
when it won't show up.
Also, when these parameters are not showing in the "Variables" window,
they also are inaccessible from expressions (e.g. "$tableScopeType") in
the XWatch window.

Thanks for helping me understand and overcome whatever is going on here.

Lars