[oXygen-user] Master Files vs Main Files

George Cristian Bina george at oxygenxml.com
Wed Feb 29 14:51:38 CST 2012

Let me try to explain a little more this new addition.

We already have validation scenarios that resolve the usecase of working
on a module by allowing to specify that the validation should start from
a different file than the one you are editing, a file that refers the
current file in some way (for example by including or importing that).

This works ok but it is not dynamic. If the links (import/include
relations) between the files change then you need to manually update the
validation scenarios to match those changes.

So, instead of specifying validation scenarios for a module we thought
that it will be a lot easier for the user to just mark the
main/master/principal/core/root files and have oXygen automatically
discover that you are editing a module, if the edited file can be
reached from such a marked file through include/import/reference links
and validate that file automatically instead of validating the current
file. Of course, if there are more master/main/etc. files that include a
module the validation will validate all of them.

Marking these files can be done with a contextual action, for example we
can add a "Set as main file" action on the contextual menu.

We thought that will be interesting to gather all these marked files
together, in the project, and we created a logical folder inside the
project called "Master files" or "Main files" or some other maybe better
name that will contain all these files. This syntetic folder can contain
also other logical folders thus allowing to organize these files in
different groups.

If you organize your project like this then it makes sense to be able to
easily trigger validate and transformation actions on these files (we
will allow to associate more transformation scenarios with one file (to
allow easy conversion from a single file to different output formats for
example). However, it is not the fact that you can trigger actions the
most important thing about these files, what it is important is that
they are not modules, they do not depend on other files.

We incline to name these "main files" taking into account the
development languages like Java or C++ where you have a main class and a
main method for example and that is the entry point for an application.
We have seen also the "master" term used, I think Tavi (Octavian)
mentioned to me that he has seen that in relation with a DocBook
document where the file that included different DocBook fragments (as
entities or XInclude) was referred to as the DocBook master file - thus
the "master files" name.
DITA names the DITA map that provides the context for resolving keys as
"root map", so "root files" seems also a possible option.