[oXygen-user] 10 files open is too many

Oxygen XML Editor Support support at oxygenxml.com
Fri Aug 17 06:53:12 CDT 2012

Hi Robert,

You provided us some great feedback about your workflow.
Please see some remarks below:

> Until you have a way of editing a DITA map file in the Maps Manager, while another DITA map in the Maps Manager provides the key links for it, we won't be editing DITA maps in the Maps Manager, because editing the keys without verifying they are spelled correctly causes too many typos.

Yes, we definitely should have a way for users to state that a certain
map is the main map relative to which all keyrefs are resolved and from
which all keys are collected.

> Moving things around is more convenient in the Maps Manager, but editing attributes is the biggest thing in map files, and it involves:
> - right-click on the reference you want to change
> - select the right item from a long menu
> - find the right edit field in a massive dialog box
> - check around the box to make sure the field you see is correct, not some other field
>    - this would ease with practice, of course, but editing maps is not a big part of my job.

If you right click a topic ref in the DITA Maps Manager, there are two
actions "Edit Properties" and "Edit Attributes".
I think you are discussing about the "Edit Properties" action.
Maybe the "Edit Attributes" would be more familiar to you, it opens a
quick attributes editor + it has an expansion marker which shows the
same attributes table you are used to when editing in the Author page.
You can also assign keyboard shortcut to both actions.
Would you consider it a good improvement if the regular Attributes view
would allow you to edit also attributes from the DITA Maps Manager?

> Can you add a setting to hide attributes like "class", "xtrc", "xtrf" that are required in the DTD, but only sort-of editable, that we actually treat as read only?
> This would mean that they would not show up in the Attributes View, unless someone edited them somehow.

We actually have Java API to hide attributes from the attributes view.

Indeed the @class value is not useful for editing.
For a developer who customizes the DITA publishing seeing (and copying)
the @class attribute helps because it allows him to see what exactly
should be matched by the XSLT templates.
It also helps me when creating DITA operations as I have to write XPath
expressions which match certain elements using the class value.
But indeed the specification says:

> The @class attribute should not be modified by authors.

So maybe we could show the @class attribute but as not-editable.

The xtrf and xtrc attributes indeed are for debug purposes and even the
DITA 1.2 specs says they should be hidden:

> These attributes are normally hidden from authors and exposed only to processing tools or editor macros. Values used in these attributes may be implementation-dependent.

So we should hide them completely for DITA. I added an improvement
request for this.